Thursday, January 06, 2005

Santa Monica 72

good morning


copies of the rather rare Derek Bowie CD Santa Monica 72 change hands for the amount of US$80 or so. thanks to the brothers in vibes at www.foreverdelayed.co.uk , I have it for somewhat less than that :)

hailed as the definitive gig from the Ziggy Starudst era, it is certainly impressive, and I am struggling to understand why Mr Bowie allowed only a very limited release for this one. I have not played the whole thing, but I have heard enough to know a good thing when I hear it. the highlight thus far has been what could well be the best ever live performance of The Width Of A Circle, easily better that the David Live bizarre jazz odyssey version, and edging past the rather frantic "let us do this quick" version on the other Ziggy Stardust Live CD.

I believe I now have a Derek Bowie live recording from every era of his illustrious career. a regret would be the very low quality recording I have from the Station To Station tour, live in New York. all and sundry know that The Thin White Duke period is my personal favourite, and thus I would love to have a '75 or '76 gig in full. nearest closest is 1978's Stage, which is no bad thing.

my Bowie collection has now spiralled well out of all control. official. if I added it all up, I could probably broadcast my whole Derek collection for a week or so and never play the same recording twice. nice one, but of course this would mean having to play the rather unfortunate Never Let Me Down album too.

No comments: