Friday, November 16, 2007

Duran Duran's Red Carpet Massacre - a masterclass in majestic music

Whereas I stand by my view that Uncle Dysfunktional from the Happy Mondays is in all likelihood going to be the best album of 2007, a late challenge has emerged to this title. Duran Duran’s Red Carpet Massacre is, quite frankly, an astonishing work of music.

I suspect that any reader of this will not need an account of the majestic days of the 80’s where Simon le Bon and his gang reigned supreme. Whereas their 90’s efforts were sometimes average, the brilliant Medazzaland being exceptional, some readers may be delighted to learn that Red Carpet Massacare returns to the style and the sound of their 80’s glory.

I guess the best way to describe the album is as being a welding together of the sadly mostly overlooked ingenuity and intelligence of the Medazzaland album with the style and flair of one of their 80’s classics, Rio being the most obvious example as that was by far and away the more accessible iconoclastic pop masterpiece. With Duran Duran now mostly being the original “classic” line up, this is the album that one may well have expected 2004’s effort, Astronaut, to be. Not that Astronaut was bad or a failure, it was just not the achievement in excellence that this one is.

In playing the album I have not really hit on any weak tracks as such, but I must say I was taken aback when I heard the single from the album, Falling Down. It’s not a bad track, but then again it is not the strongest. Ho hum, perhaps they are doing that old Morrissey trick, holding back on the best of the album for the album to give some impetus and interest when it lands. I would be hard pressed, however, to say what should or could have been the lead single. At the moment I guess my favourites would be Valley, Skin Divers and Zoom In. Valley has a very “please remix me” sense to it, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that one released in the near future.

I believe a great deal of credit, and indeed thanks, needs to go to this Justin Timberlake fellow, and his “Timbaland” production outfit. I know he’s rather famous and well established, but I could not tell you all that much about him. Going on his work with Duran Duran on Red Carpet Massacare, however, he clearly has a great deal of love, respect and admiration for the band. One would have to assume that he is responsible for the sleek sound of this album, so nice one, good work fella!

Overall, though, the album is from Duran Duran and thus it is Duran Duran who receives my compliments. A fantastic effort, chaps, and I trust that it gives you an elevated and well-deserved amount of success and critical acclaim.

My advice is not only to go out and get Red Carpet Massacre, but also to seek out and get the astonishing Medazzaland album at the same time if you do not already have it. The two complement each other very well indeed, and I still cannot understand why Medazzaland was ignored at the time of its release.

2 comments:

John Archbell said...

Speaking from a duran duran fan and collector's point of view, you really haven't a clue what you're talking about! RCM is probably ranked as one of Duran's WORST albums ever, alongside Medazzaland, spoilt by Timbaland's over production. Listen, I like hip hop but not when it's plastered all over a band's work when that band are renowned for pumping out guitar riffs and tunes that involve real drums instead of crap beat boxes. Let me make it clear, Simon le Bon is NOT a hip hop singer. He never will be. As for Medazzaland? Are you serious? I admire duran's tenacity to be pioneers and push boundaries but this was a bridge too far. No disrespect but putting out Indian music is not going to achieve commercial success. It's fine if you're sitting in at The Royal Benghal and listening to token background music I suppose.. Poptrash was a far more superior effort from the nineties and lets not forget The Wedding Album...all songs on this album were potential singles and that's because nobody else got involved and spoilt the party!

I normally defend duran duran when poor reviews are written by so called critics but you seriously got this one wrong mate.

lee ricketts said...

sorry that you didn't like the album. in fairness, some 7 or so years later i suppose it doesn't stand up to the test of time.

Medazzaland i love as much as the "classic" albums; i know that puts me in a minority, but there you go, we all have our preferences.

many thanks for reading and taking the time to comment, always greatly appreciated!